New scam to steal your car

Stolen vehicles and kit here please. You need to be registered on the EMLRA Forum if you want to post but anyone can view. Please bear in mind that confirmation of registration is unlikely to be immediate. Contact details will be useful. Links to Stolen posts on other forums are fine but please include details here as well, not everyone will want to be clicking links.

Moderators: jeff foster, Colin Voss (admin), forumadmin, mark sansom, Henry James (Moderator), Ian Kilkenny (Moderator)

New scam to steal your car

Postby LarryH57 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 am

Please be aware and remain vigilant of the following technique currently being used by motor vehicle thieves in the London & South East area:

- The motorist parks their vehicle. On their return they find a note, purportedly from another motorist, saying they have hit the vehicle with a contact telephone number.

- The motorist calls the number. The other person is apologetic for the damage and gives the number of someone to repair the damage.

- The motorist calls the number and speaks to a person claiming to be a mechanic. The motorist arranges an appointment for the person to come and look at the damage.

- The ‘mechanic’ looks inside the main cab of the vehicle to ‘get the paint colour’ and leaves saying he will return to fix the damage when he has the correct paint.

In fact he has just paired a blank key with the vehicles OBD socket.

- The vehicle is stolen overnight.

Obviously this is more likely to affect gullible car owners but it might be useful to warn your family.
Larry

EMLRA website is like religion; I only return to it in times of need in the hope that my prayers will be answered!
LarryH57
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Redcap » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm

It's been going on for a while now. The Mirror has an article written by Quentin Wilson regarding it:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/authors/quentin-wilson/car-thieves-make-a-killing-from-hi-tech-1142902
Best regards,

Roger
http://www.coldwarprovost.org.uk
&
118 118 Provost Team
"We got your number!"

L/R Siii RHD LWB 60KB62
Redcap
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Re: New scam to steal your car

Postby Julf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:02 pm

LarryH57 wrote:In fact he has just paired a blank key with the vehicles OBD socket.

Boy is he going to be busy looking for the OBD socket in my landies... :)
Julf
Pte Walker
Pte Walker

Re: New scam to steal your car

Postby Dobbs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Julf wrote:Boy is he going to be busy looking for the OBD socket in my landies... :)

Or the 'fake' one in my other car!!
Dobbs
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Return to Stolen Thingies