Land Rover theft alert, BBC

Stolen vehicles and kit here please. You need to be registered on the EMLRA Forum if you want to post but anyone can view. Please bear in mind that confirmation of registration is unlikely to be immediate. Contact details will be useful. Links to Stolen posts on other forums are fine but please include details here as well, not everyone will want to be clicking links.

Moderators: jeff foster, Colin Voss (admin), forumadmin, mark sansom, Henry James (Moderator), Ian Kilkenny (Moderator)

Land Rover theft alert, BBC

Postby 13AY57 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Surrey Police said there had been 23 thefts in the county and surrounding areas since January, with older models being targeted.

Det Con Kerry Whindle said it was thought thieves were targeting older models which did not have immobilisers.

The Kent and Sussex forces have also said the vehicles were being targeted, either to use in crime or sell abroad.

Insp Sonia Lassnig, from Kent Police, said thieves could be taking the 4x4s to use in ram raids or to sell for parts.

Police are also concerned the vehicles were being stolen for export because of their popularity.

link to this news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22561651
restoring 1963 Rover 8 FFR 37 EK 25
restoring 1962 Rover 8 FFR 54 DM 51
SOLD. 1990 Rapier 127 FFR (13AY57) with Missiles
viewtopic.php?t=9591&highlight=
emlra member 3033
13AY57
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Re: Land Rover theft alert, BBC

Postby AR4412 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 pm

I did an automotive locksmith course as part of my resettlement ready for leaving the forces a month or so ago, and during the course I decided to have a pop at my Defenders locks. The first attempt saw me in the door in 19 seconds and the ignition barrel turned in under 2 minutes from that with no damage to the vehicle. Now I've practiced on the WOLF's at work I can usually defeat the igniton barrel in under 30 seconds with my record being 2 seconds. It's a handy skill to have due to the number of sets of keys the MT departents lose or miss-place.

Don't worry, I'm not aiming to steal all the Defenders out there when I leave the Army, it's just a handy skill to have and the money for locksmithing is good.

I also know how the thieving gits get around immobilisers but won't publish how as we don't want those who don't know knowing do we?

Regards,
To Those That Have Had To Fight For It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

Neil.

3.5 V8 Lightweight Coiler. (Ex 1973 FFR)
55HG98. 1980 SIII LWT FFR PARA Recce.
Td5 90 XS.
AR4412
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby 13AY57 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks for that Neil, what in your mind would slow the thieving gits down or stop them ?

Regards
Phil
emlra member 3033
13AY57
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby AR4412 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:57 am

Hi Phil,

There's a few ways to deter or frustrate the would be thief from getting their hands on your pride and joy.

Steering wheel locks are an obvious one, just make sure it sits tight to the boss so they can't just undo the column nut and remove the steering wheel with the lock still attached. Clutch Claws, pedal or gearlever locks etc also help. Visual deterents, if of a known hard to beat quality may be enough to put them off and make them move on to an easier target.

Fitting hidden switches that cut the feed to the ignition circuit or fuel pump/fuel pump solenoid on older Land Rovers, or on 90/110's these are a good idea, stops them putting a tube over the barrel and snapping the ignition switch off exposing the workings which can then be turned with a screwdriver.

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/StoreDisplay.asp?SL=123&MID=82

On modern Defenders, fitting a secondary battery earth lead inside the vehicle seatbox and shielding the positive cable from attack where it runs from the seatbox into the engine bay stops them from simply cutting the cables and waiting for the alarm/immobilizer back up battery to drain before gaining entry and removing the vehicle from it's rightful owner. The alarm/immobilizer itself is easy to defeat if you have the software, it is in their hands and only takes a minute or two minutes to work.

Regards,
To Those That Have Had To Fight For It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

Neil.

3.5 V8 Lightweight Coiler. (Ex 1973 FFR)
55HG98. 1980 SIII LWT FFR PARA Recce.
Td5 90 XS.
AR4412
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby LarryH57 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Has there been any details given on where these Land Rovers have been stolen in Surrey; is it mainly from public car parks, peoples front drives or lock ups?
Larry

EMLRA website is like religion; I only return to it in times of need in the hope that my prayers will be answered!
LarryH57
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby 13AY57 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:43 pm

emlra member 3033
13AY57
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Emmtee1973 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Hello all

Just my thoughts on this from experience with older petrol vehicles.

When it's gonna be stood for a while I tend to remove the lead between coil and dizzy.

Appreciate this is no good for diesels but gives a good first line defence on the gas guzzler.

Martin.
31 KK 13. Work in progress

Don't tell him Pike!
Emmtee1973
Pte Pike
Pte Pike

Return to Stolen Thingies