Green laning in France

There is undoubtedly an interest in Green Laning, not surprising really when you consider the vehicles we covet and cherish. This forum is here for discussion of routes, contemporary issues and the social side of things. Anyone not playing nice will have their tyres let down.

Moderators: jeff foster, Colin Voss (admin), mark sansom, Henry James (Moderator), Ian Kilkenny (Moderator)

Green laning in France

Postby gavinl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:13 pm

If you register at Ma Passion 4x4 there are some 90 road books that you can down load.

http://mapassionle4x4.xooit.fr
gavinl
Warden Hodges
Warden Hodges

Postby Rover8FFR » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:34 am

Hiya...

Forgive me but is that for 'Virtual' Greenlaning or a planned trip!

Its Saturday evening and I have had a hard week so forgive my poor humor!
Wayne

FV18021 S2a Rover Mk 8 FFR 93EL57-40amp Toastie
Arrows 1 3/4T trailer
13BK33 FV1611A
Rover8FFR
Sgt Wilson
Sgt Wilson

Postby mkeating » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:11 am

Road books
Something the UK is dire need of
Maybe if enough guys get together :?:

Safe lanes
Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby gavinl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Remember the French haven't won a war in a thousand years - their Road-Books can be pretty bad e.g. turn right at field of sheep/haystack - really permanent way points, gps points that can be up to 250km out and maps that have been flipped left-right! I think if they actually managed to turn up for a battle it must have been sheer chance because their map skills are wanting...

Actually, it doesn't require a group of people at all - just one person who is prepared to co-ordinate a web site where people can up-load and down-load road-books that are either pdfs or satnav routes.
gavinl
Warden Hodges
Warden Hodges

Postby mkeating » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi you may be aware here in the UK we have

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://fu ... 1SE6LSPv3A
Trail wise is a Handy tool but only provides ROW information.
Not a real source of local information, pubs fuel, campsites etc etc.This form of information can only be provided with local imput.
Once out in the cudds not all carry PCs
I still work with map /compass/ time and distance.

Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby 13AY57 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:00 pm

:roll: just park the landrover at the end of the road... go for a walk with the dog :D lots more fun.
restoring 1963 Rover 8 FFR 37 EK 25
restoring 1962 Rover 8 FFR 54 DM 51
SOLD. 1990 Rapier 127 FFR (13AY57) with Missiles
viewtopic.php?t=9591&highlight=
emlra member 3033
13AY57
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mkeating » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Well thats a surprise from a land owner...not

We are talking about navigation, you are clearly off the page.

Safe lanes
Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mkeating » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 am

http://www.trailbikemag.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
don't you just hate that :?:

Safe lanes
martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Just walking

Postby Mike O'Connor » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Yes walking works as well, don't forget drivers do that and ride bikes etc. Around Northants some lanes have winter restrictions until late April/May, I have had dog walkers on the more leafy ones stop us to say please would we drive them more often as they can hardly get through. One of these lanes had a single footpath look to it being overgrown. In Oxfordshire round Chiping Norton some of the old tracks (Salt Road) are now to overgrown to walk even, since they were RUPPs and no longer used. Some people just don't understand sharing and people doing more than one activity.

Watched a walker/bicycle rider/horse rider ding dong at our local rights of way forum just 'cos they can't see a bit of each others viewpoint!
Wading kit/winterised 110 12/24 Ex 59 Independent Marine Commando Royal Engineers and yes it gets used greenlaning as well as at shows. Though not as often as I'd like.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby gavinl » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:33 pm

I went green laning in the Perigord region of France - Dordogneish - last weekend and clocked up over 200km of off-road tracks. These are really pleasant routes that wander through forests and vinyards. Over 3 days I didn't see another 4x4. Camped surrepticiously in the farthest corner of vinyards out of site.

All the tracks are in an excellent state and most have been quasi-surfaced with chalk chips.

Only had a couple of technical bits of excitement when a solid looking bit of ground turned out to be chassis deep mud - fortunately winch to the rescue. And another moment of excitement when the back of the 109 started to sliding sideways down a muddy slope - 200 metres of scary fun.

All the routes are easy to spot with your French IGN large scale maps. Some routes are closed between Nov 1st and April 30th for manic French hunters who shoot at anything alive.

You can drive on any track unless it is marked as closed/private or is barred.

For road-books buy the following magazines: Action 4x4; Univers Toy; Univers Land.

In the back of the mags there is a list of previously printed road that you can order.
gavinl
Warden Hodges
Warden Hodges

Postby mkeating » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks for posting your report

Any Pics by chance :?:
Safe Lanes
Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

France Normandy etc.

Postby Mike O'Connor » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:36 am

A thought for you, I'm attending the EMLRA Committee Meeting this weekend. Plan to mention a possible club trip to Normandy visiting sites and Bocage green lanes. Having gone through that area twice as well as the World War 1 area tracks, with the H4H 4x4 Europen Rally.

This does not yet have any approval from the committee 'cos they don't know about it. But it could include members from all over Europe. Could either be next year or 2014. What do you think, at the right time we could probably visit a commemoration event over there?
Wading kit/winterised 110 12/24 Ex 59 Independent Marine Commando Royal Engineers and yes it gets used greenlaning as well as at shows. Though not as often as I'd like.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby mkeating » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi Mike
That sounds like a plan.
I would be intrested in that.

However I am not a member of EMLRA nor likely to be after ( The shoddy EMLRA Stand ) Flare Incident.

SAFE LANES
Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

greenlanes normandy france

Postby robinhugo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm in :lol:

There's room in the field if anyone wants to camp - just need to fence a bit off from the horses

we are also near the zoo if anyone wants a break from driving and/or have family travelling with them

I can provide basic shed access and tools if needed too - I have an arc welder, grinder, and big hammer if things get desperate

I spent a day this year with H4H and signed up for the whole 2 weeks next year.
05HF95 Trailer 3/4 Ton 2 WHD
31FK70 Truck, Utility, 1/2 Ton, 4x4, LHD, Rover Series 1
69ER52 Truck, GS, 1/4 Ton, 4x4 Rover 8
75FL40 Truck, GS, 24v w/winch 1T 4x4 LHD Launcher Towing Rapier Rover
robinhugo
Sgt Wilson
Sgt Wilson

Postby mkeating » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi
That sounds great an advance camp!
Never done France in a Landie, As I've said not an EMLRA member so maybe not on this trip.

Ill pm you

Safe lanes
Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Mike O'Connor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:52 am

We talked about a trip over to France at Committee Meeting and currently are working on 2014. There are complications of export licences for all your military bits if you go out of the country. Bless the security concerns and Customs & Excise jobsworth.

Should do export licenbces for Toyota Hiluxs Terrorists much more likely to want those.

Anyway Karl and I have France in mind!
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Return to Green Laning