New year Run outs

There is undoubtedly an interest in Green Laning, not surprising really when you consider the vehicles we covet and cherish. This forum is here for discussion of routes, contemporary issues and the social side of things. Anyone not playing nice will have their tyres let down.

Moderators: jeff foster, Colin Voss (admin), mark sansom, Henry James (Moderator), Ian Kilkenny (Moderator)

New year Run outs

Postby mkeating » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:10 am

Hi People

Weather / Lane conditions here in the UK not really condusive to getting out on the lanes, however don't let that stop you postings your picks from warmer parts.

Wishing you a Happy, Healthy, Trouble free 2014 No matter what part of this Planet you choose to roam.

Safe Lanes
Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Re: New year Run outs

Postby cv126a » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:12 pm

Sadly it's exactly this sort of weather that draws out convoys of 4x4s outy on the 'Plain to carve rut after rut in it......
1966 Rover 8 FFR
1962 Rover 8 FFR Toastie
1967 Rover 9 FFR
1971 Rover 1 FFR
1972 Rover 11 FFR
1954 Humber 1 ton
1973 S3 swb diesel
1971 109" 1 Ton
1996 Hi Cap 300tdi
1976 1/2 Ton Airportable FFR
cv126a
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby craigderby » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:12 am

I had a nice run at the weekend in the wife's Terrano :oops: . Kept to the rocky lanes in the Peak District, it was a very pleasant morning out
1985 Land Rover 109 FFR - Winterised Hardtop - 76KC45

EMLRA Member No.4004
craigderby
Pte Pike
Pte Pike

Postby mkeating » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:04 am

Hi ref THE PLAIN
Well Dale ( GLASS area rep / TL Area rep) has an eye on these events, along with the MOD Police and Range wardens.

Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby MG Mal » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:56 am

During Winter months and weather such as this, us"Locals" only ever go up to the Church at Imber via "metaled" roads and exit the same way (although usually via a different route.)

The issue is the "None specific" 4x4 brigade, usually either young owners who don't have any idea in regards to looking after the trackways etc that they can drive, or the much older "Don't give a toss" brigade, who think it's their right to trash up the lanes, and unfortunately a lot of them drive some form of Landy, be it an old Rangey or a chopped about disco.

Mal.
83 S3 LWT Ex RAF Derv Conversion (2.25)
Early S3 Light-Weight Project (V8)
03 plate 130 double cab (poss ex MOD White Fleet)
MG Mal
Sgt Wilson
Sgt Wilson

Postby Flat4 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:32 am

MG Mal wrote:During Winter months and weather such as this, us"Locals" only ever go up to the Church at Imber via "metaled" roads and exit the same way (although usually via a different route.)

The issue is the "None specific" 4x4 brigade, usually either young owners who don't have any idea in regards to looking after the trackways etc that they can drive, or the much older "Don't give a toss" brigade, who think it's their right to trash up the lanes, and unfortunately a lot of them drive some form of Landy, be it an old Rangey or a chopped about disco.

Mal.

I think your exactly right here, i know on a couple of other land rover forums the proper respectful greenlaners are discouraging 'the dont give a toss brigade' or clueless people from using the lanes to prevent damage and TRO placements. I know around the surrey way there are a group of laners whe regularly go out who have been deliberately not going out due to the inclement weather to prevent lane damage, a few went and helped out in the floods etc instead. Teh group takes new laners out but have been refusing due to the weather. Problem is the dont give a toss brigade will go drive and trash a lane, it will get closed but they wont care and will go drive off piste somewhere else, or trash another lane.

IMO
If you want to play in mud and water, carving up ruts as its cool, go to a pay and play day.
00KK53 - 1992 Truck Utility Light (Cargo) GS 12v. Formally of 11 Sigs Regt, HQ Royal School of Signals.
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Call me Ed
Membership Number 3150
Flat4
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mkeating » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi Guys
Spot on the pair of you. :D :D

Been in this game since purchasing RATTLE in early 2000 ish.
Joined GLASS and became aware of the ROW political agenda.

Now you know me (maybe you don't) but once I find a cause to fight for I stick my Flag in the ground and stand my ground.

One such incident was 'CHUTE' a set of lanes near THE PLAIN (I'm not shouting thats how you write it)
Not going to bore you with the details But it was a very dirty battle (political) and a plot that could fill the pages of a political thriller
Anyway long story short... GLASS gave up on the battle, as the CHUTE Lanes in the main could only carry MC traffic.
I left GLASS after telling them what I thought of them.
(I ride a bike).

Evern longer story cut short
NERC 1 GLASS saw it comming, but were trumped.
NERC 2 :?:

It would be great if the Green Lane community on this forum had a voice.
As clearly we enjoy the Lanes, and do not want to lose them due to the actions of others.

Anyway enough from me. :) :)

Don't want PRISM to get the wrong idea of me. :roll:

Safe Lanes
Martin
Last edited by mkeating on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Irish Dave » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi Martin,
Over here in Northern Ireland we don't have any green lanes :-( we have to get permission to drive off road. Take care of what you have.
Thanks,
Dave
Irish Dave
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mkeating » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi Dave
Greetings for the season :) Hope all works out well in your part of the world.

I guess you do not have to look that far back in history to see how that came about.
Southern Ireland I hear provide for good runs out as does France (bit of a clue there)

Health, Peace and Happyness Mat'e for 2014

Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Irish Dave » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks Martin, i never thought of the green lanes like that - fair point.
Happy new year to you and yours .
Thanks,
Dave
Irish Dave
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mkeating » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:58 pm

See you on the 'Other' Side :D

Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing