Greenlaning

There is undoubtedly an interest in Green Laning, not surprising really when you consider the vehicles we covet and cherish. This forum is here for discussion of routes, contemporary issues and the social side of things. Anyone not playing nice will have their tyres let down.

Moderators: jeff foster, Colin Voss (admin), mark sansom, Henry James (Moderator), Ian Kilkenny (Moderator)

Postby Gordon Bennett!!! » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:51 pm

We'd like to come along if you do the Peak District :D

G&V
Gordon Bennett!!!
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby timberwolf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Do you know any legal routes in that area gordon?
timberwolf
Pte Walker
Pte Walker

Postby GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:27 am

So getting back to the beginning :-

discussion section and maybe providing advice for your local areas and perhaps getting into groups sometimes
--------------
Sounds a good idea , probably the Forum header should be "Greenlaning & Non-MOD CES Kit thingies" , so we can then discuss all the civvy spec. gadgets hidden away in ammo boxes

:D
GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT
Site Admin

Postby andyc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi, just to let you good folks know that I am the Green Lane Officer for Staffordshire & Shropshire Land Rover Club. I am quite new to this post and am gathering information about our local lanes so will keep everyone posted. However, I have driven lanes in Derbyshire around the Peak District quite extensively (although in my Disco and not in my Lightweight) and also many lanes around Wales. The biggest problem with the Peaks is the sheer popularity of it. Unfortunately, Green Laning is seen as a very anti social activity, even though a vast majority of us are sensible, law abiding citizens. The Ramblers Association are very much anti Green Laning - as a point of interest, the Ramblers Association are the only organisation in the UK that actively campaign against others enjoying their hobby just so they can enjoy theirs! I have encountered numerous situations in the Peak District where walkers have been abusive towards us, including using foul language in front of my children when telling us we should not be driving on 'their' lanes. Our routes are perfectly legal, by the way and checked regularly. Lanes in Wales are far better, usually deserted and much better terrain, although I will concede maybe not as picturesque.
Thanks,
Andy
andyc

Postby mistericeman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:58 pm

andyc wrote:Hi, just to let you good folks know that I am the Green Lane Officer for Staffordshire & Shropshire Land Rover Club. I am quite new to this post and am gathering information about our local lanes so will keep everyone posted. However, I have driven lanes in Derbyshire around the Peak District quite extensively (although in my Disco and not in my Lightweight) and also many lanes around Wales. The biggest problem with the Peaks is the sheer popularity of it. Unfortunately, Green Laning is seen as a very anti social activity, even though a vast majority of us are sensible, law abiding citizens. The Ramblers Association are very much anti Green Laning - as a point of interest, the Ramblers Association are the only organisation in the UK that actively campaign against others enjoying their hobby just so they can enjoy theirs! I have encountered numerous situations in the Peak District where walkers have been abusive towards us, including using foul language in front of my children when telling us we should not be driving on 'their' lanes. Our routes are perfectly legal, by the way and checked regularly. Lanes in Wales are far better, usually deserted and much better terrain, although I will concede maybe not as picturesque.
Thanks,
Andy

Youv'e not been to North Wales then ??? :wink:
mistericeman
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby andyc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Good point! No, I've not done North Wales, all the lanes I have driven have been concentrated around Mid Wales. We usually start (and quite often end) with the Wayfarer Route and do lanes down to Strata Florida and then around Dollgellau.
Andy
andyc

Postby mikeffr » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:59 pm

andyc wrote:Good point! No, I've not done North Wales, all the lanes I have driven have been concentrated around Mid Wales. We usually start (and quite often end) with the Wayfarer Route and do lanes down to Strata Florida and then around Dollgellau.

Andy

You better check with Matt Rimmer to see if Dolgellau is North or Mid Wales.

Know quite a good B&B there if you need details. Rooms Ok food very good and lots of it at good prices.

Mike
mikeffr
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby andyc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:23 pm

The details of the B&B would be really useful. We used to stay at a campsite very close to the town but for some strange reason they suddenly decided that it would be adults only - no kids allowed! Now we stay at a site outside of Dollgellau but we have to drive in for a meal and a pint - not very sociable at all!

Sorry for any offence with my confusion over whether Dollgellau is North or Mid Wales. After checking with my trusty map, I think that it is North Wales; my mistake.

Andy
andyc

Postby mistericeman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 pm

andyc wrote:The details of the B&B would be really useful. We used to stay at a campsite very close to the town but for some strange reason they suddenly decided that it would be adults only - no kids allowed! Now we stay at a site outside of Dollgellau but we have to drive in for a meal and a pint - not very sociable at all!

Sorry for any offence with my confusion over whether Dollgellau is North or Mid Wales. After checking with my trusty map, I think that it is North Wales; my mistake.

Andy

Ahhh Yes i would have had Dolly down as North Wales too mate lol ...

Still if you need a good campsite ....

http://www.shellisland.co.uk/

Just up the road from Dolly about halfway between Harlech and Barmouth Fab place if you have kids.

And it's pretty relaxed ....

Ohh did i mention that it gets cut off by the tide at some times of the year ???

We organised a group of 40 odd folks there last year with 30 odd landrovers just after easter (best to avoid the bank holiday times ) and it was fantastic .

And not far from "happy valley " over towards the Tal y llyn railway
mistericeman
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby mikeffr » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Follow the link
http://www.fronoleu.co.uk/
Its just east of Dolgellau in Tabor

Woukd have no problems going back.
Land Rover friendly car park. Big with lots of turning room,
Although when I was down there at beginning of december it was skating room.
Evening meals were £17/18 for 3 courses.

Mike
mikeffr
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby andyc » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:28 am

Many thanks for all of the info. We tend to prefer camping as the kids seem to prefer the adventure of sleeping under canvas. Personally I like my home comforts but tend to get outvoted by the kids!

Cheers,

Andy
andyc

Postby SAS dinkie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:15 pm

That Shell Island Campsite does look good.....

What about sorting a forum short break there, and then some of you locals can take us on a few trips to explore the lanes?

Anyone think this is a good idea?
MP 91 AA - Defender XD TUM (wolf) WMIK
HK 05 AA - Defender XD TUM (wolf) winterised
Gemini 4.5 Meter ex RE inflatable boat
SAS dinkie
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mikeffr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:21 pm

Stayed at Shell Island once a long time ago , 1970 something.
Do you still need to use the causeway for access and race the tides?

Mike
mikeffr
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mistericeman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Yes Mike i'ts still a causeway job to get on there,though it's now tarmac rather than the slate shale it used to be.And is only usualy shut twice a day at spring/winter tides...though as you can see from the picture above i did get caught out by a stiff onshore wind pushing the tide in early.Always a spectacle watching the brave/mad drive over while the tide hadnt cleared fully lol .
Sadly RAF Llanbedr has closed so no more aerobatics from the vampires/meteors/provosts and the jindivik radio controled target drones .
It is a special place to me as ive been going there since i was born and i am now a bit closer to 45 than i perhaps act lol .
cracking place to camp with a landrover too as there are some fab isolated spots that ud need 4wd to get to easily lol.
yet there are bits that can easily accomodate a big group too
mistericeman
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby Mike O'Connor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi folks, looks like your talking at least. Re the last comment on Holmfirth, four of us from Northants (only me EMLRA) are heading up that way at the end of March and had intended to check out South of Holmfirth. I'll let you know what we find.
Wading kit/winterised 110 12/24 Ex 59 Independent Marine Commando Royal Engineers and yes it gets used greenlaning as well as at shows. Though not as often as I'd like.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby owenmi01 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Perhaps if you know a few routes in that area you you might be willing for some of us to tag along ???

I am hoping by that time to have got the measure of mine a little more and could be up for a run out if your willing at all?

Obviously if its a purely private outing then am sure we will have other chances..

cheers

Mike
Land Rover 90 FFR

76 KF 72
owenmi01
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

greenlaning in norfolk

Postby terrance kirk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:42 pm

the wife and i enjoy the green lanes we have around us, were lucky enough to live very close to pedders way, and not far from thetford forest, which is in abundance of lanes, aswell as the north norfolk coast line from hunstanton round to the norfolk broads near gt yarmouth, but you have to watch out for your electrics in wet seasons. we would meet up with other groups if any are interested, just email a date to us, regards terry & gayle
1971 109 ambulance
sankey narrow track 3/4
sankey 3/4 ton widetrack
3x comms trailers
109 ffr soft top
109 GS soft top
109 hardtop ffr
terrance kirk
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Holmfirth Area

Postby Mike O'Connor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Sorry I haven't commented earlier but the trip was on a knife edge and collapsed unfortunately! Couldn't get the right mix of accomodation in the Peak District. Important facets being bunkhouse, B&B and all close together and close to a pub with food (and preferably real ale!). It's easier in Wales know of 2 or 3 really decent ones.

Maybe we need a list of people who know areas and people who know accomodation.

If anyone needs to know Northants just give me a call, mobile is 07801 494140, though this ara is a bit seasonal due to glorious Northants clay.

Mike O'C
Wading kit/winterised 110 12/24 Ex 59 Independent Marine Commando Royal Engineers and yes it gets used greenlaning as well as at shows. Though not as often as I'd like.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby SAS dinkie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Maybe we could have a local expert put together a weekend in an area and then all pile up for a fun filled weekend. I personally would love to get out and about more, but just dont know the areas and round me locally there is only really Thetford that I know of.

Whats peoples thoughts? Help some of us novices get the best out of the country side?
MP 91 AA - Defender XD TUM (wolf) WMIK
HK 05 AA - Defender XD TUM (wolf) winterised
Gemini 4.5 Meter ex RE inflatable boat
SAS dinkie
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby owenmi01 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:33 pm

Absolutely agree....i only really know 1 or 2 short routes near me but definitely up for a bit of greenlaning if anyone fancies putting something together...

we just need enough people to show an interest and off we go !!!

cheers

Mike
Land Rover 90 FFR

76 KF 72
owenmi01
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby Mike O'Connor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:48 pm

I could certainly organise a route for Northants/Leicestershire/Warwickshire border areas. Though it really has to be between May and October to avoid the winter closures. I'll have a think about a possible date. Could also do a Welsh one but need more notice on that one a) from my CO (wife) and b) 'cos I'm doing the Help for Heroes 4x4 European Rally down to Berchesgarten in June and am trying desperately to raise sponsorship at present!!

As to people willing to be named well I'm Northamptonshire and you can get me on 07801494140 or email mikeocave@hotmail.com. I know Kevin McGeough is willing to be mentioned and he's the Highway Engineer for South Cumbria, all salute a senior officer, have to try and keep on the right side of the Highways Dept! Anybody else willing to step up to the plate and we'll do a subject heading.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby mkeating » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Mean while indeepest sleepy Suffolk
With this at the end

2008 Prune mission Lavenham area
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mkeating » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:13 pm

For you'r Entertainment