What equipment do you take or fit for Greenlaning?

There is undoubtedly an interest in Green Laning, not surprising really when you consider the vehicles we covet and cherish. This forum is here for discussion of routes, contemporary issues and the social side of things. Anyone not playing nice will have their tyres let down.

Moderators: jeff foster, Colin Voss (admin), mark sansom, Henry James (Moderator), Ian Kilkenny (Moderator)

What equipment do you take or fit for Greenlaning?

Postby owenmi01 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:36 am

Ok a question for the more knowledgeable than i ?

I want to keep my 90 FFR as close to military spec as possible but think it is prudent to fit Diff guards and a steering guard for greenlaning...I think the standard Military tyres are good enough for most situations but realize that there is more aggressive tyres out there...

So my question is, what else can be fitted but relatively easily removed for the show season...or would you just leave as is??

Also what additional equipment would you take along to help with recovery or emergency repairs...I am looking to include a basic tool box and recovery set to go in the back just in case...

Any advise gratefully received?

cheers

Mike
Land Rover 90 FFR

76 KF 72
owenmi01
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby mistericeman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Coleman cooker and the dogs ......

Seriously though,
It depends on how extreme a lane you are intending to drive,
I havn't bothered with any extreme underbody protection as i don't drive any severe lanes in either of my landies (especially the 109),
Leave that to those with "One life,get one" stickers in the window
The most important bit is to not go alone so if you do get stuck a bit then you have help to get out of it :lol:
A couple of recovery strops,a shovel,some basic tools ...A high lift jack(and the knowledge of how to use it safely :wink: )maps(having checked the definitave ones with your local rights of way officer),mobile phone,camera(for scenic piccies)brew gear (for having a brew in scenic locations)
mistericeman
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby owenmi01 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:30 pm

See now i am glad i asked....Brew Gear...essential i reckon !
Land Rover 90 FFR

76 KF 72
owenmi01
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby mistericeman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:18 pm

owenmi01 wrote:See now i am glad i asked....Brew Gear...essential i reckon !

Shovel obviously has two uses ....

Pie and peas :wink:
mistericeman
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:12 pm

QUOTE. So my question is, what else can be fitted but relatively easily removed for the show season...or would you just leave as is??

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/produc ... ng_kit.php

Save £30 make your own out of sheet alloy or brass and a tail-gate strap , coat of primer & DBG or NG.

Safer than using the rifle clips , strange MOD Rovers don't have them as CES

:D
GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT
Site Admin

Postby mistericeman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 am

Ohhh and not forgetting a suitable ammo box for use as an oven on the Coleman cooker

8) 8)
mistericeman
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby owenmi01 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:33 am

These are good suggestions folks.. keep them coming...looks like food & drink is proving essential....I think i need to prioritize better somehow lol...

Never thought about an Axe... not many trees up on the greenlanes near Oldham..its all moorland i think...perhaps i need to sort out a Pioneer kit thou...

mike
Land Rover 90 FFR

76 KF 72
owenmi01
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby cantaffordajeep » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:20 am

mistericeman wrote:Coleman cooker and the dogs ......

I disagree entirely, :shock: well not entirely, the dogs are OK but a Primus stove fuelled with lovely paraffin is much safer! :D
Dave

1984 series III 109" FFR 82KB67 (ex-8th Regiment of Signals)
Folding spade (ex-Bundeswehr)
Non-folding spade, 1953 (Ex-MOD and better than the one above)
cantaffordajeep
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Kit

Postby Mike O'Connor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi all I tend to run much as I would for 4x4 response work, a lot like lists above plus waffle boards, hand winch, blankets, food, drink and stuff for warm drink. Ihave some instant hot food packs n board just add watr. Most of the latter in case stuck for a long period, not happened yet.

Oh boy do I sympathise with the comment about not fitting kit that looks ot of place. I have a standard LR Steeing guard the tube variety, which has been bashed a number of times, but they're cheap enough to replace (£25) and are a valid fitting, they were on a number of mil Landys. I do also have a front diff protector, they don't show much. I don't have a winch fitted, though they are possibly excusable as some were fitted. In my case I'm probably just too mean, as they aren't cheap. I've only been winched out once and that was on a pay and play site. Have been pulled out several times with ropes and strops on greenlanes, usually due to ruts. This is why it's useful to have two and preferably three of you.

Many lanes you won't have any trouble with (except scratches on your paint work). Some lanes however develop ruts that you can't get out of until it's too late, but you try to avoid those, no point making things worse. I have however used the waffle boards a few times and even the hand winch uually the latter on obstructions. Oh yeah bow saws and hatchets are good as well. Have fun.

Mike O'C
Wading kit/winterised 110 12/24 Ex 59 Independent Marine Commando Royal Engineers and yes it gets used greenlaning as well as at shows. Though not as often as I'd like.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby owenmi01 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Pleased about the steering guard... the 1 i have ready to fit is the standard Landy tube 1 so if its a valid fit it can stay on...

may paint the diff guards white n the rear... green on the front then they blend in a little more...otherwise its not a big job removing those anyway...

Might buy some waffleboards thou.. they are easy to take in & out...and there is always the metal 1's

Good advise anyway thanks !!!
Land Rover 90 FFR

76 KF 72
owenmi01
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby Robin CB » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:40 am

I have a 109 Series 3 and have never needed diff guards, etc, in nearly 10 years of green laning, but I understand that "defender" diffs have a thinner case. I also use standard 7.50 X 16 Michelin XZL tyres without any trouble.

Extra kit includes waffle boards and a High Lift jack as well as a shovel and the ubiquitous brew kit :-)

The key thing is to go with another vehicle and have a good long tow strop. Only once have I got both vehicles bogged and we should have carried a longer strop.

Enjoy!
Robin CB
45KC88 - Truck Utility 3/4 Ton GS - Rover III

"Ideally, equipment should be designed so that it is: (1) Movable, as required under the conditions of use." - Defence Standard 00-3
Robin CB
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby Mike O'Connor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Correct about Defender diffs until you come to Salisbury rear axles. They're as strong as you'll get, though usually only on 110's. Snag is if you do leg up on a rut they dig in when you go backwards, that's when a high lift jack comes in handy, but you've got to know what you're doing and how you use it! Usually a bit of digging and a tug will get you out.

So if you've got a Salisbury then there's an issue about a diff protector, some types go under the diff, but you don't want it any lower. Some types fix on the front and back, but if they're on the back they cover up the rear convoy white marking which you usually want for shows, decisions decisions! What it is to be in the greenlaning and show camps.
Wading kit/winterised 110 12/24 Ex 59 Independent Marine Commando Royal Engineers and yes it gets used greenlaning as well as at shows. Though not as often as I'd like.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby gavinl » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:29 pm

My most useless off-roading accessory just has to be the four Michelin tyre chains that I bought this winter to fit my 7.50 R 16 tyres to go off-roading in the Cevennes in January.

The fitting instruction diagram is incomprehensible.

It takes atleast 15 minutes per wheel to fit them while kneeling or lying in the snow and you cannot be sure that you have done it correctly.

If you get any wheel spin they will come off. They certainly don't stay on for more than 50 yards.
gavinl
Warden Hodges
Warden Hodges

Postby owenmi01 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Dont think i will be buying any of those then !!!

cheers

Mike
Land Rover 90 FFR

76 KF 72
owenmi01
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby steve90mod » Tue May 03, 2011 4:14 pm

most important thing ive learnt is carry tub of rad weld and plenty of water had stone damage radiator on sunday its simple thing but got me 85 mile home so i could do a proper repair new rad now ordered :)
1992 land rover 90 56 kk 27
discovery 200tdi lifted' winch, snorkel NO stupid stickers
steve90mod

Postby Mike O'Connor » Wed May 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Rad Weld hmm never thought of that! I have a tin in the garage, right that's going straight in the Landy! Thanks for that tip.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby mkeating » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Having had the experiance of putting Rattle on its side after a mis Judged turn / descend I have a pen knife on a bungee so that I can escape via the tilt. At the time my door tops were off so I could clamber out ok, but a lesson learnt.
Also now have a roll bar fitted and if you think rescue might be from air...carry smoke. Normal hills skills leave a route card and a over due action plan at home.
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mkeating » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:23 pm

How big is your truck?
Image :) :)
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Craig Cunningham » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:28 pm

GL today i took an empty sankey :lol:
Still, it was great fun :D