Mounting notebook PC in Land-Rover

There is undoubtedly an interest in Green Laning, not surprising really when you consider the vehicles we covet and cherish. This forum is here for discussion of routes, contemporary issues and the social side of things. Anyone not playing nice will have their tyres let down.

Moderators: jeff foster, Colin Voss (admin), mark sansom, Henry James (Moderator), Ian Kilkenny (Moderator)

Mounting notebook PC in Land-Rover

Postby gavinl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39 am

Has any one got any suggestions on mounting a notebook computer in my SIII?

Thanks

Gavin
gavinl
Warden Hodges
Warden Hodges

Postby mikeffr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Stupid question Why?

If it is for mapping whilst green laning I would go for something like a dedicated GPS or smart phone app.
http://www.memory-map.co.uk/gps.htm
Much smaller, therefore easier to mount and conceal when you leave your vehicle for lunch in the local.
You are also likly to get better battery life.

Mike
mikeffr
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Mike O'Connor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Couple of laning mates of mine run laptops whilst laning, one of them has a jazzed up Series 3 I'll check if his is fixed. Mind he's also a radio ham and has all sorts of kit in there!

Mike
Wading kit/winterised 110 12/24 Ex 59 Independent Marine Commando Royal Engineers and yes it gets used greenlaning as well as at shows. Though not as often as I'd like.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby gavinl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:33 am

I have a notebook PC with all of Memory-Map's stuff for France as well as Central and Southern England along with a bluetooth GPS.

I looked at the Memory-Map offering but at £600 for a dedicated SatNav, I think I will stick with the computer.

I have seen other off-roaders with mounting systems for their computers but I have never seen one advertised for sale.
gavinl
Warden Hodges
Warden Hodges

Postby owenmi01 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 am

you could take a look at this...not cheap but you dont want the laptop going astray when you least expect it

http://www.ruggedcomputing.co.uk/produc ... top_mount/

also on ebay i believe

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANDROVER-4X4-OFF ... 0400346059

not tried this at all so cant comment any further...

cheers

Mike
Land Rover 90 FFR

76 KF 72
owenmi01
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby gavinl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks Mike,

Also found these US ones at half the price. Onyx Vehicle Laptop Mounts $89.95 to $94.95.

http://www.dura-mounts.com/

Regards

Gavin
gavinl
Warden Hodges
Warden Hodges

Postby mikeffr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:26 pm

gavinl wrote:I have a notebook PC with all of Memory-Map's stuff for France as well as Central and Southern England along with a bluetooth GPS.

I looked at the Memory-Map offering but at £600 for a dedicated SatNav, I think I will stick with the computer.

I have seen other off-roaders with mounting systems for their computers but I have never seen one advertised for sale.

Makes sense, got the kit why by more.
Not sure how good one of those mounts would bein a S3 with that lovely unforgiving leaf spring suspension. Looks like it would also have issues with passenger and the not so short gear lever.

I would be tempted to fabricate something that fixes it securely to the centre seat/battery box area. You would need to endure air circulates to all vents.
There are plenty of "cheap" note book stands out there (quick google) but you need to find one you can securely fix the note book to.

Mike
mikeffr
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby gavinl » Sat May 07, 2011 5:52 pm

I bit the bullet and bought the Rugged mounting system. Pricey but a really nice bit of kit and very easy to fit.

Just two minor irritants - my computer is a really tight fit at 38cm wide and so I had to bend the side grips to fit. And I have USB ports on either side (5 cm in from the front) of the computer and the side grippers cover these up.

Gavin
gavinl
Warden Hodges
Warden Hodges

Return to Green Laning