S Wales MoD Exercise Areas

There is undoubtedly an interest in Green Laning, not surprising really when you consider the vehicles we covet and cherish. This forum is here for discussion of routes, contemporary issues and the social side of things. Anyone not playing nice will have their tyres let down.

Moderators: jeff foster, Colin Voss (admin), mark sansom, Henry James (Moderator), Ian Kilkenny (Moderator)

S Wales MoD Exercise Areas

Postby Mike O'Connor » Wed May 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Have we got any greenlaners with a knowledge of the S Wales army exercise areas. There are a couple of long byways across them but I've no idea what the opening arrangements are. Salisbury Plain I understand and there's a phone number you can call but I haven't heard of one for Wales. Anyone know?
Wading kit/winterised 110 12/24 Ex 59 Independent Marine Commando Royal Engineers and yes it gets used greenlaning as well as at shows. Though not as often as I'd like.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby Mike O'Connor » Wed May 25, 2011 11:21 am

Fascinating nobody seems to know the answers to my questions, going to have to put it out again on a more general forum I think.

Mike O'C
Wading kit/winterised 110 12/24 Ex 59 Independent Marine Commando Royal Engineers and yes it gets used greenlaning as well as at shows. Though not as often as I'd like.
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby chunkster » Wed May 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Mike O'Connor wrote:Fascinating nobody seems to know the answers to my questions, going to have to put it out again on a more general forum I think.

Mike O'C

hi mike, i dont know the answer, as you say you can phone range ops for the plain, try finding out which council the land is in and give them a call, thats all i can suggest, sorry

chris
chunkster
Pte Pike
Pte Pike

Postby MG Mal » Wed May 25, 2011 1:39 pm

83 S3 LWT Ex RAF Derv Conversion (2.25)
Early S3 Light-Weight Project (V8)
03 plate 130 double cab (poss ex MOD White Fleet)
MG Mal
Sgt Wilson
Sgt Wilson

Postby Kil2508 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi Mike

There is actually a public road that runs across SENTA, and if you go over easter / xmas leave periods you can get about the area! :wink:

Want any other info PM me!
LM 56 AA

Truck Uty Light (TUL) (HS) 4x4 GS Soft Top
Land Rover 2.5Ltr Turbo DSL (With EEGR)

Ex 1 & 2 RGR

&

MK 3 Command Post - AKA Wolf 9x9
Kil2508
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Mike O'Connor » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi Kil2508 the particular track I was thinking of runs from just South East of Llanwrtyd Wells across the Sennybridge Area. Any info on that?
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby Kil2508 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:04 pm

you can pick up the metal road that runs from tirabad to llweyl!

Bout 8 miles, and you get good viw of OBIUA Village!
LM 56 AA

Ex 1 & 2 RGR

&

Kil2508
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Mike O'Connor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:41 am

Apparently it is possible to use the road from time to time but everytime I've been there the flag is up and the gate closed! OBIUA that presumably is like the one on Salisbury Plain used for FIBUA (Fighting in built up areas) or as the paras call it FISH (Fighting in someones house)
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby Kil2508 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Sorry typo it was meant to be OIBUA (Operating in built up areas) being a Para I would have called it FISH, but thought you guys may not have got it! :wink:

The metal road is generally always open as it is a public road, and dates of intended closer are noted on the sign!

The Range flag is always up, other than block easter and xmas leave periods!

You can get up to the OIBUA village as you will see from my photos, however I had my MoD 90 in my pocket in case any range staff were about!!
LM 56 AA

Ex 1 & 2 RGR

&

Kil2508
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Mike O'Connor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi Guys thanks for replys. Leaflet looks useful last time I checked this road not only was the flag flying but the gate was padlocked!
Mike O'Connor
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Return to Green Laning