National Park

There is undoubtedly an interest in Green Laning, not surprising really when you consider the vehicles we covet and cherish. This forum is here for discussion of routes, contemporary issues and the social side of things. Anyone not playing nice will have their tyres let down.

Moderators: jeff foster, Colin Voss (admin), mark sansom, Henry James (Moderator), Ian Kilkenny (Moderator)

National Park

Postby mkeating » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Guys
If the Peak district national park is your area of ops

http://www.trailbikemag.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Did anyone see the programme?
Thoughts of the programme or this thread?
As I said guys there is a war going on,the land is being taken away from under your tyres.
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mistericeman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:05 pm

It's on Iplayer if you missed it ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _District/

Usual bunch of opinionated nimby's with plenty of time on their hands IMHO .

It's only a matter of time ....Those sorts and the bulk of the redsocking lot won't rest till greenlaning is prohibited completely....
Probably at the delight of the horse riders and mountain bikers :roll:

Still, when they have banned us they will be looking at the next group until they have the use of the lanes to themselves.

(Ohhh and just in case i walk the hills regularly as well as the odd mountain bike ride too :wink: )
mistericeman
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby mkeating » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks for the reply
Consider this for a moment.

Young lad walks, rides runs the hills.
Joins the forces becomes amputee, able to get mobility allowance, but his 4x4 is banned from the hills HOW THE HELL DOES THAT KID GET BACK ONTO THE HILLS!!
In my book ethnic cleansing.
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby owenmi01 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:25 pm

We where out and about in this area on Sunday as an organised greenlaning event with my local land rover club...all routes checked as accessible with the local rights of way officers etc..

We stuck to all the GLASS guidelines regarding numbers in groups, speed limits...slowing to a crawl or stopping for walkers, staying on designated tracks etc....

At various points during the course of the day we met walkers...some of which greater us with smiles and who we greated pleasantly & thanked them or said hello as appropriate.. But there was a number that gave us really dirty looks or even abused us at times....no retaliation whatsoever from any of us I should say !

Even park rangers scowled at us on more than 1 occasion...

National parks are there for the enjoyment of everyone...am I right in thinking these greenlanes are often ancient roads used at 1 time to carry goods to outlying villages and towns...so where never intended just for pedestrian access only..

Cheers

Mike
Land Rover 90 FFR

76 KF 72
owenmi01
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby mkeating » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Yes drove roads / routes very good to research on a damp day. Also the odd Roman road pops up.
I could draw up a sandbag!
I have been in the Green lane game 5yrs
Being Ex mil I have strong views towards the lose of our rights at home whilst we fight else where to give others theirs.
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mkeating » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Mike
On a cold day have a brew on the go You can smell coffee for miles, :D Have a pair of Binos at hand and show your legs as these people think they are a breed apart.
As I lane alone I sometimes forward recce on my mountain bike which is carried as standard in the Tub.
I do all I can for Hearts and Minds.
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mistericeman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:52 pm

owenmi01 wrote:We where out and about in this area on Sunday as an organised greenlaning event with my local land rover club...all routes checked as accessible with the local rights of way officers etc..

We stuck to all the GLASS guidelines regarding numbers in groups, speed limits...slowing to a crawl or stopping for walkers, staying on designated tracks etc....

At various points during the course of the day we met walkers...some of which greater us with smiles and who we greated pleasantly & thanked them or said hello as appropriate.. But there was a number that gave us really dirty looks or even abused us at times....no retaliation whatsoever from any of us I should say !

Even park rangers scowled at us on more than 1 occasion...

National parks are there for the enjoyment of everyone...am I right in thinking these greenlanes are often ancient roads used at 1 time to carry goods to outlying villages and towns...so where never intended just for pedestrian access only..

Cheers

Mike

To be honest (AND speaking personally) i have seldom had any problems with the folks we (occasionally) meet whilst out laning BUT we do tend to keep away from the busiest ones)
Some folks are genuinely interested in a bunch of old landrovers trundling along,And if we drive courteously and considerately then we probably cause very little offense to most .
The trouble is some folks won't accept that there are more than one bunch of people that want to use the legally driveable LANES and BYWAYS .

The whole 4x4's ruin the countryside by eroding "footpaths" argument is fatally flawed ...have you seen the state of some of the most popular footpaths ???
The lyke wake walk,Offas dyke,etc etc ...Even after the national parks authorities are spending millions to repair them .

Makes my blood boil .
Still i'll carry on driving them until it's not legal anymore then who knows what ....

http://youtu.be/q-UjU1rYX1A

http://youtu.be/QhP9r2C2Lgk
mistericeman
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

The Big Picture

Postby mkeating » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:04 pm

I will now try and expand on how big the issue is.
To give you some depth on the subject. I say this as no means of disrespect, but currently there was little said on this forum about the risk to our activity.Some see it as a hobby some as more than that ...a right of passage.
Not for me to say, only to say "enjoy and treat with respect".
http://www.trailbikemag.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

I have never met a soldier not intrested in history and histiory as we all know is todays politics. WE have to our advantage that our wagons draw an intrest, it all helps the Hearts and minds.
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby mistericeman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Interesting reading that, and some very "wordy" folks over there 8)

Reading the replies from the MP's it demonstrates the usual lack of interest sadly shown in stuff that won't ever be a vote winner .

The fact that they ARE public servants seems to be lost on them completely. Be nice to win the lotto and challenge the whole NERC rulings etc in the courts on grounds of infringement of human rights.

AND i do wonder about the signage involved too,
As i understand it the legislation used to "TRO" a green lane is the same as applies to a stretch of road/motorway that is being repaired and is thus subject to the same strict regulations on signage/notices/warnings etc :wink:
mistericeman
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby mkeating » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:32 pm

You are correct,however LA's suffer from selective concerns when it comes to Green lane repairs. Tread lightly reflects the concerns of BOAT users. As users of green lanes we should take up the slack when the LA fail in their duty in the up keep of the Green lane Network.
I had hoped when I first joined GLASS that it would become the AA / RAC of the lanes, but sadly this did not transpire. I hope you find this American site of some value.
http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/re ... -Tips.html
The UK org aspires to this
http://www.treadlightly-uk.org/
Work in progress, but with your support will ensure that we have a Green lane network in the future.
Martin
mkeating
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Return to Green Laning