royal navy lightweights

Been looking for this book on the Lightweight? Good news a reprint is planned in 2010, comments or possible updates for new edition are welcome.

Moderators: emlra admin, Mike Allmey, woody, 1617 3100

royal navy lightweights

Postby paul clarke » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Please find the following information on the lightweight land rover club forum with regards RN Lightweights

Regards

Paul

Hi all.

Been looking over at the EMLRA forum in particular at this thread The Half Ton Military Land Rover book. In the last paragraph of this reply (Clicky) there is the quote...

It seems there is now a possibility of unearthing what a real Royal Navy Lightweight looks like.

...and in this (Clicky) reply there is the comment...

There is no photograph at all of a Royal Navy livery L'wt that I know of, but it should be possible to shake out.

Now this kind of surprised me as I have a Royal Navy 24V Lightweight with Royal Navy Livery sitting on my front which is complete and original except for having 750 tyres and a hard top plonked on instead of a soft top as it hasn't been used for years. The Original Reg was 03 RN 23 and I have the key card for it which shows the following.

28/11/74 Despatched to CVD Hilton
16/12/74 into service
13/05/83 Enhanced Shore Support Hermes
16/04/84 Stock vehicles Portsmouth
25/06/85 HMS Invincible
19/08/85 Stock vehicles Portsmouth
17/04/86 BCA Blackbushe Auctions

Wally Dugan did suggest that in his experience there was probably another key card for my Lightweight somewhere as it would be rare for one to be in storage for 9 years and it possibly existed on a previous registration.

Now value is irrelevant to me as I plan on keeping it a fair amount of time but I must admit it's history intrigues me. First I've never seen another Lightweight with Royal Navy livery on it, the livery is restricted to the top removable panel on the rear tub. The quoted thread from the EMLRA forum seems to suggest it is something of a rarity so does anyone know how rare it actually for a Lightweight to have Royal Navy Livery? Second does anyone know if it's at all possible to work out what happened in it's first 9 years of life?
paul clarke
Pte Godfrey
Pte Godfrey

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:14 pm

My understanding is that both Herpes and Invisible at one time had a Lightweight as the captain's runaround. I'm really having to struggle with this one but in the deep recesses of my confused old brain I seem to remember that there was a space under the vehicle ramp where they were stored while the ship was underway. I don't think I ever photographed one aboard ship (if I did it would probably have been in Portsmouth in June '84), but if I did it's a fair bet that somebody will find evidence to disprove me.
Bob
Bob
Pte Pike
Pte Pike

Re: royal navy lightweights

Postby GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:53 pm

paul clarke wrote:Please find the following information on the lightweight land rover club forum with regards RN Lightweights

Regards

Paul

Hi all.

Been looking over at the EMLRA forum in particular at this thread The Half Ton Military Land Rover book. In the last paragraph of this reply (Clicky) there is the quote...

It seems there is now a possibility of unearthing what a real Royal Navy Lightweight looks like.

...and in this (Clicky) reply there is the comment...

There is no photograph at all of a Royal Navy livery L'wt that I know of, but it should be possible to shake out.

Now this kind of surprised me as I have a Royal Navy 24V Lightweight with Royal Navy Livery sitting on my front which is complete and original except for having 750 tyres and a hard top plonked on instead of a soft top as it hasn't been used for years. The Original Reg was 03 RN 23 and I have the key card for it which shows the following.

28/11/74 Despatched to CVD Hilton
16/12/74 into service
13/05/83 Enhanced Shore Support Hermes
16/04/84 Stock vehicles Portsmouth
25/06/85 HMS Invincible
19/08/85 Stock vehicles Portsmouth
17/04/86 BCA Blackbushe Auctions

Wally Dugan did suggest that in his experience there was probably another key card for my Lightweight somewhere as it would be rare for one to be in storage for 9 years and it possibly existed on a previous registration.

Now value is irrelevant to me as I plan on keeping it a fair amount of time but I must admit it's history intrigues me. First I've never seen another Lightweight with Royal Navy livery on it, the livery is restricted to the top removable panel on the rear tub. The quoted thread from the EMLRA forum seems to suggest it is something of a rarity so does anyone know how rare it actually for a Lightweight to have Royal Navy Livery? Second does anyone know if it's at all possible to work out what happened in it's first 9 years of life?

==============

On any part of the bodywork normally out of sun & dirt , have you observed what the finish originally was - full gloss , or what is left of a shine

:?:
GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT
Site Admin

Postby Clay » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:57 am

I have question about RN Lightweights:

What is the BS original colour? And, is it the same of the RAF Lightweights?
Clay

Postby GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:31 pm

RAF would be :-

RAF Blue/Grey BS381c 633

=====

Royal Navy

I have never examined a Lightweight with a RN VRM , not that I can recall.

Royal Marines RM VRM Lightweight prior to Solihull NATO Green - yes, but not in detail factory paint check.
---------------

I have my doubts if they left Solihull in a colour - sort of described as Navy Blue. The colour used is often stated as Oxford Blue 105, could be - arguable.
I have only briefy given less than a handfull a cursory examination of Ex-RN S3 at auction sites - from memory they were straight civilian models purchased and sprayed (badly).

http://miliblog.co.uk/?cat=53

Normally champ owners do this research well , why should a RN L'wt paint finish be different to their Champs in the early/mid 1960's. I suspect the high gloss "Oxford Blue" type colour was a bs glam spray over DBG or RAF blue/grey but probably wrong

:wink:

ps. Wiki comment :)

Successor Vehicles

The use of the appellation "Tilly" carried on into the last part of the 20th century in all parts of the UK armed forces, with the Morris Commercial J4 and later the Leyland Sherpa, often in minibus form. The Royal Navy which had no embedded vehicle assets of its own, unlike its soldiers in the Royal Marines and the other services, was reliant on the civil service Principal Supply and Transport Organisation (Navy) PSTON to provide both the vehicles and drivers.
GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT
Site Admin

Return to The Half Ton Military Land Rover - by Mark Cook