Fan and alternator belts help please

Ever owned a vehicle you wish you never sold ? Driven it in service and have a photo of it ? Wondered if its still on the road ? Or still on the show circuit somewhere ? Why not post a picture and some details of last seen owned etc, who knows what may turn up or where !

Moderators: emlra admin, Mike Allmey, woody

Fan and alternator belts help please

Postby Grahame19GX69 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:27 pm

I have a Series 3 24V (FFR) with the huge 24V alternator driven by 2 belts.

Where can I obtain 2 new alternator drive belts?

Also, where can I obtain a new fanbelt. Is this standard S3 or do military S3s use a different belt?

Thanks
Grahame
Grahame19GX69

Re: Fan and alternator belts help please

Postby GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:06 pm

I am looking at a set of belts I removed from a FFR S3 cartridge , probably one of the last recon units although it if IIRC 3mb not 5mb (they would be remanufacture with contractors too). Thw plastic bag is still heat sealed.
The fan belt - Land Rover 614670 Made in DENMARK (it is genuine ) need to check but almost certain the part No. correct , also marled 42 and 7042 , I would have to measire - probably a 42" (inside) , the Section is standard (car) 'A'

In later year they moved to a COG belt as they run cooler, last longer without stretch and transmit power better. The data is Continental , so - CONTITECH (trade mark) CONTI-SF AVX13X 1325 La , so I decode that as 'A' Section 13mm wide (IIRC the small width being 7mm) with a internal length of 1325mm

Having said that - my understanding is that the 1325 is OK and workable but in fact not the exact length that is best. I have some old notes and think this equates to 514570. A S3 FFR engine is identical to a S3 Lightweight engine of same date manufacture - a typical Solihull record states 535688 for 1977 manuf.

You could buy a belt or two from a Factor on sale or return - fit and tension and I would say you need to be at shortest so scope for plenty of adjustment. It could be that ABRO on view cog belts don't stretch opted for a median ? :?:
GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT
Site Admin

Postby Grahame19GX69 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:26 pm

Thanks. I have 2 belts which came in a box of bits when I bought the S3. They are both marked Goodyear 13AV1325 so from reading your post these sound like spare alternator belts.

So just the fanbelt (not alternator belts) to get now. Is the military S3 fanbelt the same as the standard non-military one?
Grahame19GX69

Postby Grahame19GX69 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:13 am

Actually getting confused now. Am I right in thinking the standard (non-military) S3s have the alternator/dynamo on the left? Mine has the huge 24V alternator on the right. So I guess the smaller fanbelt is totally different to the non-military one?

What is the pulley low down on the left (roughly located where the non-military alternator is)?

So where can I get a new military spec fanbelt?
Grahame19GX69

Postby GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:55 pm

You should have a 'idler' pully on a small bracket and a jockey pully (mounted in approx. area where a 12 volt alternator is mounted , yes on opposite side of engine to your 90A huge genny). The FFR belt(s) is a different size to a civvy one. Such as 109" GS / CL (possibly) and 12 volt EARLY Lightweight also used a 8 blade fan with twin V pulleys - again different belt sizes. FFR - I have to use military specific parts books and these give the Land Rover part No. only use for stock / VOR order at a franchise lR dealer - this would £££ cost you an arm and a leg. Hence if possibly obtain the belt size off a old belt and go to a local factor - I try and obtain belts by such as Gates , normally a factor has a wall mounted weighted belt size checker - it's in their $ interest to co-operate on exact sizing.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15507 The idler pulley lower LH & Jockey unit RH lower.
GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT
Site Admin

Postby Grahame19GX69 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:02 pm

Thanks, Grumpy B. That's really useful. I had wondered if it was an idler pulley so it's good to have you confirm.

Grahame
Grahame19GX69

Return to Where is it now ? Owned it & sold it to regret it ?