The Half Ton Military Land Rover book

Been looking for this book on the Lightweight? Good news a reprint is planned in 2010, comments or possible updates for new edition are welcome.

Moderators: emlra admin, Mike Allmey, woody, 1617 3100

The Half Ton Military Land Rover book

Postby 1617 3100 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:51 pm

The Half Ton Military Land Rover

I understand my book is nearly impossible to find now so have asked for a reprint, the publisher has said it is due to be reprinted in the first half of the new year.
If anyone has any updates for it, new photographs or suggestions for it, please get in contact. It may be possible be able to use them.

It may be possible to order in advance if you do not mind waiting!
They currently have a 45% off online voucher (or indeed for phone orders Telephone - +44 (0)1305 260068). This is valid on all books.
The code is valid up to 31st December the online code is "XMASCRACKER"

http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/products/p ... %20Trucks&

Veloce
33 Trinity Street,
Dorchester,
Dorset DT1 1TT

Note This address will change in January

Mark Cook
1617 3100
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby fv1620 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Oh what a giveaway, Mark you've blown your cover! We were all wondering who 1617 3100 was! :wink: :wink:
Clive Elliott

Member 012

Collecting military publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
fv1620

Postby GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:15 pm

But now we can have a seperate Forum Section titled :-

Ask Mark about Lightweight Thinghies :D
GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT
Site Admin

Postby norcoatomique » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:24 pm

And maybe i can find out why my lwt was first painted white inside!!! D. :wink:
1975 landrover series 3, 109 FFR 49 GF 75
norcoatomique
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Lwt book

Postby LarryH57 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:27 pm

Mark,

May we have more colour photos in the book. Also it might be worth you changing some of the photos that you had in the first edition for a new set if they cover off the same point you might be making with a particular photo. In that way the book would be appealing to people who have the original!

Also I wonder if you could include a a typical organisation chart for units use of Lwt vehicles - especially Para and Airborne Artillery, as readers like me have no idea if Lwts were issued in a specific manner or whether it was a case of mix and match with other Series vehicles.
Larry

EMLRA website is like religion; I only return to it in times of need in the hope that my prayers will be answered!
LarryH57
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:43 pm

I can recall meeting with Mark at MVS (Lichfield) ISTR him stating the publishers would only accept genuine in service photographs and this had involved more trouble and cost of obtaining same. In retrospect - this reflects now in the quality of this book that should probably remain the same at subsequent re-print.
Possibly if Mark does not mind the hassle , then a Vol. 2 would be a better proposition. This time possibly the publishers would / may not be so strident on the photographs. So you could have a story how such as Rogans Para. Lightweight was "discovered" - with photographs of its present condition and progress if he gets around to historic restoration.

The few photographs of such as the black gloss painted Berlin Lightweights could be used - along with any other recent discoveries - the Cyprus Gunships. It seems there is now a possibility of unearthing what a real Royal Navy Lightweight looks like. Mark could even search out that urban fox - the Berlin Brigade L'wt in the distinctive DP :wink:
Site Admin

Postby tinweasel » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:49 pm

It would as has already been stated else where be good to have more info on how lightweights would have been used by the diferent regaments would the Para's, Green jackets and the Anglian's have used them in the same way? (mine was probably just a base hack but would the SAS have used early ones for other things), possably more info on what kit would have been fitted in say FFR ones and why, also would the RAF, Navy and Army have been fitted out the same. Lots of photo's is allways good. Sorry if any of this has been covered in the firs book but I was only able to look at a copy for a short time.

Oh and if it's at all possable could each copy come with a free mechanic to fix your lightweight when something stops working or is that asking too much???

I'm looking forward to finaly getting my hands on a copy of my very own.
Cheers

Shaun

Lightweight 57 KB 66 GS Ex 22 SAS
Sankey trailer 24 ET 87 history unknown
tinweasel
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby kernowcam » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Please take this as a constructive comment. I have used the book as a reference when rebuilding my lightweight. its excellent . i would be glad to see more detail / closer shots if possible. I think it would be enhanced with more close ups but may stray from the original concept. There is the odd close up / colour shots which answer many questions. take the close up of the dutch lwt with the door open. suprising how much detail can be obtained from them. Also used the book to sort my pioneer tool layout etc.

(There is a series of books by Bay publishing the 'original' series i believe which did beautiful books on many of british cars. superb photography much detail etc, but not any of the historical old photos . if only there was a lightweight one. they tended to cover a model through its life with pictures of the vechicles and close ups of any changes. Engines brakes dash bodies - the lot.) (i'm up to photograph that book if your up for it mark.)
kernowcam
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby kernowcam » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:19 pm

opps
kernowcam
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Rogan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:04 pm

My copy finally arrived in the library. Took 6 months, but the system works... just about.

One of you probably kept renewing it indefinitely. :'/
1980 Para Recce Lightweight - 55 HG 98
1969 S2a Air-Portable Shed
Rogan
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby francis » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi Mark,
I'm sure it's almost impossible but more detailed photos on the special little details would be great. Even if these are from untouched examples that have not been messed with since they were cast. For example, I was very lucky and picked up a pair of brand new unfitted rear wing/ wheel arch mounted battery boxes for an arctic FFR. Dimensions, normal fitting positions, etc etc for this kind of kit would be incredibly useful as there is so little information around. I'm sure that fulltilt will concur on this. A bigger section on unit markings when in service, up until when they were no longer fitted might help also, as that seems to crop up on here again and again - even if it took the form of a couple of colour plates at the end. There are two excellent photographs on an ex-RM website of Series 2a in use in Cyprus that I've never seen anywhere else (not even here). Everyone seems to like the recce versions, so details measurements on these would also be handy - for example I was chatting with an ex RHA guy at Beltring and their recce versions were different to Para regt, because the role was slightly different. I think you get my drift!
francis
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby 1617 3100 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:12 pm

Many thanks for the comments.
Apologies firstly, I should have possibly been a little clearer.
The book is obviously due for a reprint as it is next to impossible to find now. It has in fact been reprinted once already.
The first edition (2001) was as a hard back if you have one you are pretty lucky as if I remember correctly only 1,500 were printed.
The second edition (2004) was a paper back, this contains a number of very small revisions. Mostly of a minor (mostly odd typo) nature (if anyone can spot them all I will be impressed!).

What I really meant was that changes of a minor nature may be possible in the third edition. I may for instance be able to substitute photos used with new ones where they are in the book, with the original caption.
As Full tilt rightly pointed it would be nice to have a mention about the Rover 1 Cyprus Gunships. These I knew nothing off at the time of printing.

Other minor new information has come to light on the use by 321 EoD of the Lightweight via a former “Bleepâ€
1617 3100
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Lwt book

Postby LarryH57 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:22 pm

Mark,

Regarding:

â€
Larry

EMLRA website is like religion; I only return to it in times of need in the hope that my prayers will be answered!
LarryH57
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby GrumpyB formerly FULLTILT » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:06 pm

Asking for colour photographs is fine but not realistic. Into 1970's official photographs in particular a "study" were black and white. 1969 at the railway establishment I worked the official photographer was the chief draughtsman - I was the 19 year old boy who carried the huge tripod camera and the chief carried the plates. 1970 a new fangled Polaroid was obtained but it was only used to photograph accident scenes, but the boy still attended to carry the camera for the chief :roll:

If you want sand (and yellow) Land Rovers then you need Bob Morrisons British Land Rovers in the Gulf ISBN 1873564023 - but due to the nature of the landscape and vehicles - can you call it a colour photograph book ?
You already have RAF Yellow and Red L'wts. UN White L'wts.

What was the point of taking loads of photographs of lines of hundreds of green/black dp Lightweights lined up on the runways at MVS (Lichfield) on a overcast drizzling day in February - I could find no reason at all at the time and that was not just the cost of 35mm. Now in retrospect - I wish I had taken loads , in particular of the rare and oddbods.
Use of camera at auctions (including viewing days) was frowned upon by all. To try and enter a Army or RAF base that I used to attend on business would have been a stupid act - to pull one out without any prior permission would have been most stupid , now the authorities seem to have given up on the army using realtime phone/camera for whatever !

Regarding use by 321 EoD of the Lightweight , - useless heresay without documentary evidence and authentic photographs will always be be best for any research.

I have always had a interest in RM Lightweights , probably the best write up was in the club Newsletter Issue 102 Dec. 2008 by J.E.S. Bradshaw Long Range Vehicle Patrols by Lieut. M.N. McMullen , RM

From now on - any research is going to be time consuming , we know there were gloss black MP L'wts with Berlin Brigade , 2 photographs only.
There is no photograph at all of a Royal Navy livery L'wt that I know of, but it should be possible to shake out.

Why did the GS L'wt come about in such quantities to swamp the 88" CL when IIRC it cost more than twice as much. Well I know what I was told by Solihull Technical staff about 1980 , - the concellation of orders and non-delivery of those already lined for production to certain middle east countries - but of course that is just heresay. I was told the change of loose locker lid covers over petrol tanks and introduction of seat base cushion retainers was because a certain middle east country would not accept the thick alloy lids screwed to the seat bases. These contracts were then taken up by the British MOD along with the decision to rationalize all seating to that spec. for future contracts

:wink:
Site Admin

Postby Time Bandit » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:19 pm

The first edition (2001) was as a hard back if you have one you are pretty lucky as if I remember correctly only 1,500 were printed.

Bloody hell I didn't realise there was that few printed...I'd better look after mine then!! From a Lightweight owners point of view it was the best thing since sliced bread when the book was finally published and I've never dived into me wallet as quick in my life to get a copy of it bought!!!

As for new stuff the only thing I can think of from a personal point of view is that I'd love to see a picture of one of the yellow RAF Glider Tug Lightweights 'in action' so to speak. Mine is an ex yellow Glider wotsit underneath its current set up and at the time I bought it (1999) I'd never seen a picture of one in use,or even just a pic of one full stop, and it wasn't until your book came out that I finally got to see a pic of a yellow Lightweight, albeit they were just parked up rather than being used. So far though I've still not actually managed to find a pic of one being used pulling the winch cable or whatever else they did. For me then a couple of extra pics of a yellow RAF Lightweight Glider Tugs in use would be what I'd like to see, though I suspect due to the lack of them appearing either in print or on the web so far may well indicate rocking horse shite may be easier to find?
Mike

93KA44
Ex RAF SIII Lightweight

Military Rover
Time Bandit
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby 1617 3100 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:44 pm

Full tilt again nicely put.
With any non fiction book new stuff is bound to appear at some point, after publication. Yes I knew that they were Berlin black Lightweights, did I have a photo, no, so it did not go in, same with RN vehicles.
Some questions may be cleared up by study of Land Rover chassis ledgers I did study those held at Gaydon but not the latter 17 digit ones, as these were not available.
A member in Portugal contacted me recently to say that they were having trouble importing a late Lightweight due to local bureaucracy, he agued that Portuguese forces had used them, I supplied chassis numbers and a military vehicle number to confirm this.
timebandit
Richard Caney supplied most the RAF Glider schools photos, they are some more, but sorry none in action as you put it.

49 HG 92 If you are asking how vehicles were allocated to specific people within a RHA unit I have no idea.
1617 3100
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby johnhughes » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Bob Morrison published an article on the yellow glider Lwts about 15 years ago, from memory it had some good phots in it. i'll see if i still have it.

j
johnhughes
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby Time Bandit » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:01 pm

johnhughes wrote:Bob Morrison published an article on the yellow glider Lwts about 15 years ago, from memory it had some good phots in it. i'll see if i still have it.

j

That would be interesting to see!
Mike

93KA44
Ex RAF SIII Lightweight

Military Rover
Time Bandit
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby 101sean » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:18 pm

I didn't realise so few were published, glad I'm sad enough to buy any Land Rover book as soon as it comes out!

Looks like this thread should prove informative.
Sean
73FL74 101GS
24FM27 GS Lightweight
2000 110CSW Blingwagon
Medway Military Vehicle Group (Ireland rep!)
101sean
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby kernowcam » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:57 pm

i do some photographic work for various publishers and rang mate who is an editor for advice. initally he thought there would not be interest but eventually he could see that a picture book detailing the development of the lightweight may be a goer. this would be different from Marks as it would lack the wealth of archive photos , (unless some turn up,) but consist of new colour shots of the two main models plus variants.

i think the advice was it would be unlikely to be taken up by a publisher at the mo as the market is affected by the recession.

i am contemplating doing it myself as a mission and publishing a few on a small digital print run. i have a good restored 2a to start and a few mates with 3's. i would need a lot more and they would have to be worth photographing and have a valid reason to be included- model , variant, history etc. How do you deal with blinged up lightweights with v8's? A lot like them, some not and from an economic point of view would help a few sales. if a vechicle has been restored are there shots before and after?
Would also have to consider distance to travel and economics.
It would need some text to cover the history etc but Mark seems to have that well covered. (i do have a couple of other ideas for the framework of the book which i do not want to disclose, but its good.)
any thoughts?
kernowcam
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Lightweight book

Postby KentMk4b » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:32 pm

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of motorsport lightweights, military that is, as opposed to the "blinged up V8s" already mentioned. (Personally I wouldn't buy a book with them in!) I posted a few pics on the HMVF a while back, don't know if they are still there or not.
A mate of mine rallied lightweights, Austin 1800s and Minis, all military, as part of the British Army Motoring Association in the 70s and 80s. He is endeavouring to get a book published about all this, the book is done, its just the publishing holding things up, there's a surprise.
I suspect any pictures are now copyright as they will be in the new book.
52HG58
KentMk4b
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby kernowcam » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:09 pm

generally the copyright belongs to the photographer / owner of a photo.a new book will be copyrighted but not the original photos. very complex subject.
kernowcam
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Postby sickpup » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:48 pm

If it's of any use I actually own a 1974 24V Royal Navy liveried Lightweight. I also have a copy of the page of the Land Rover despatch book and a copy of the Forces Equipment Registration mark/Keycard.

Vehicle is a non runner at the moment but is original except for 7.50 tyres, a dropped on hard top due to being vandalised, Free wheeling hubs, over drive and LWB (iirc) rear half shafts.

Interestingly it also has a 11a vent panel and screen like the other RN liveried Lightweight that has recently appeared and left service this way.
sickpup
Pte Walker
Pte Walker

Postby kernowcam » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:51 pm

don't think i have ever seen a pic of a navy lightweight.
kernowcam
Cpt Mainwairing
Cpt Mainwairing

Half Ton Military Land Rover by Mark Cook

Postby robinhugo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:14 pm

I have emailed Veloce publishers to ask to go onto a "waiting list"

Here is their reply:

Re: Mark Cook book ISBN: 9781903706961â€
05HF95 Trailer 3/4 Ton 2 WHD
31FK70 Truck, Utility, 1/2 Ton, 4x4, LHD, Rover Series 1
69ER52 Truck, GS, 1/4 Ton, 4x4 Rover 8
75FL40 Truck, GS, 24v w/winch 1T 4x4 LHD Launcher Towing Rapier Rover
robinhugo
Sgt Wilson
Sgt Wilson

Postby 1617 3100 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:31 pm

I have just finished the revisions on the book (which are rather minimal, some new photos and small corrections). I will advise here on when it is reprinted.
I suggest if anyone wants a copy to contact the publisher direct

Telephone - +44 (0)1305 260068
Facsimile - +44 (0)1305 250479
E-mail - info@veloce.co.uk
1617 3100
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby robinhugo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 am

That's great news, thank you for the update Mark.

Robin
robinhugo
Sgt Wilson
Sgt Wilson

Postby Adie4666 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks for the info Mark! My names also down on the list with the publishers, look forwards to this being available again for us newbies that missed it the first time around!

Adie
Adrian Hartley

41 KF 49 - 110 TUM
26 Armoured Engineers IFOR
Widetrack MK III Trailer
Membership number: 3161
Adie4666
Pte Fraser
Pte Fraser

Postby 1617 3100 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:01 pm

The publisher just told me that they are aiming for August 2010.
Suggest if you would like a copy to get your name/details to them.
1617 3100
Cpl Jones
Cpl Jones

Postby robinhugo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks Mark - just in time for christmas present list :D
robinhugo
Sgt Wilson
Sgt Wilson